Thread: Lilja 3 groove barrels? 6.5-284 Norma

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Deadshot2, just curious how far you have stretched the distance shooting the 2 and 3 groove barrels? I have read about the old 03A3's with two groove barrels and the original acceptance reports stated "they shot within acceptable accuracy requirements". But this was also probably a moderately liberal margin due to the war effort. I believe the reason they went to two groove vs four was cost cutting measures and to expedite production. Maybe not relevant to the discussion at hand but something I've been pondering.

I have decided that the barrel material will be stainless (416) as they tend to have longer life vs cm barrels. Is there really that large of a difference in the composition for the material for the top barrel makers?

I am not a metallurgist however I am an engineer and can grasp the many concepts of the different properties but probably lacking as it relates to compositions and how it relates to barrel characteristics. Any recommended reading regarding that?

And to squirrel off here I've also come across information that indicates odd number grooves give the most equal engraving resistance so the bullet is best centered in the bore which tend to have better accuracy. As the lands are not equally opposed on either side of the bore, rather lands and grooves oppose one another.
    Last edited by RustyShackle; 07-01-2017 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Squirrel