i prefer the rimfire technologies base as it provides more MOA than the EGW and has a port cutout to make cleaning / shell extraction easier. the bases are sloped to cant the scope forward which will compensate for the extreme drop of the .22 lr at longer distances.

mildots are used primarily for ranging targets, but can be used for holdovers, just be aware of your magnification of the scope when using as holdovers it has to be on the same magnification or you'll be off. as many of the lower priced scopes are second focal planed, the holdovers and ranging distances will change when the magnification is changed. first focal planes do not have this.

this'll help you out http://www.mil-dot.com/ or http://www.chuckhawks.com/mil-dot_scopes.htm

ammo is a main concern, start with wolf as it's a very good performer through most rimfires.
a good trigger that is light and safe is a huge advantage for accuraccy / consistancy, i like rifle basix triggers in my savages
do searches and some reading on breathing techniques, eye alignment / cheekweld, trigger squeeze, follow through.

free float the barrel.

do a search on parallax, get an adjustable objective or side focus scope. i like a higher magnification scope at least a 4-16x, up to a 8-32 or 36x scope. allows me to "spot" my hits without having to break my shooting form having to move to look through a spotting scope.

practice. not just practice makes perfect, but perfect practice makes perfect. make every shot count, think about every shot, what you did right and what you did wrong.

a data book. make notes on the distance, how many "clicks" you must adjust for each, the temperature, humidity, etc.
the next time you have the same conditions, refer to the data book for proper adjustments.

wind guage. caldwell makes an affordable one for under $40.00, use it, make a table to put in your data book for different MPH winds. i like to make a note every 3mph, at every 25 yards. the wind can move your impact several inches to several feet depending on the distance and MPH.

i also like to use a rifle level, as a cant left or right will mess up your point of impact (POI) several inches depending on distance.

if you are soing uphill / downhill shooting, a cosine or angle indicator is very helpful as the POI can change several inches up or down depending on distance, angle, and the FPS (foot per second) of your ammo.

the use of a steady front rest is critical, along with the use of rear support or bag to be consistant.

there is probably a hundred more things, but those mentioned above will put you on the proper track, and if excersized properly and frequently should lead you to success.