Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
Errr, what? What are you trying to say with that? I'm an engineer and I think you might have some terms confused. PM me if you want to go over things in a little more depth. Generally speaking nuts,bolts, and various fasteners of similar stature are held tight via friction from torque(compression/tension) between the two mating surfaces.

Typically only 10% to 15% of the overall torque is actually used to tighten the bolt, the rest is used to overcome friction in the threads and on the contact face that is being rotated (nut face or bolt head).

Cheers!
This is an incorrect ststement. I too am an engineer and I also manage a fastener testing Lab. You are correct that most of the torque applied is wasted overcoming the friction forces. The misconception is that friction prevents the joint from loosening. Actually the stretching of the components ( traditionally the bolt but in our case the threads in the nut) act as a spring and keep the joint closed. You could say that the sping applies s normal force to the surfaces and therefore friction is still reasponcible for keeping the joint closed

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk