Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
1) I understand that SS tends to be more accurate than chromoly, but if you were in my shoes - does the cost savings outweigh the potential compromise in accuracy?
2) Should I even expect less accuracy from the chromoly barrel?
3) I see that chromoly is offered by many of the top barrel makers, so I assume it can't be all that bad?
4) What kind of accuracy hit can I expect?

Thanks all!
1) The only way that is true, is if they took more care in the production of it; Heat treating, tooling, etc
2) Only if you think he has different grades of products he sells.
3) CM is the original barrel material, Stainless is relatively new. Stainless can tend to be more brittle in extreme cold weather.
4) Ask Apache.

I personally don't have any preference between materials, and have shot heaps of both. Since you like to shoot hot loads, if you actually shoot a high volume of rounds, the Stainless could offer longer life. Stainless work hardens, so will wear a bit longer perhaps. But remember barrels are like tires. They have a purpose, and wear with use. The harder you use them, the faster they wear out. There is no 80,000 mile tire that offers any real performance grip for the track. Likewise if you want a barrel to shoot 50,000 rounds of overloads, don't expect the accuracy to always be 0.25 moa.