Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
With a 60,000+ psi load, I promise there are harmonic deflections at play. Varmint Al had some very good visualizations on his site.
Quote Originally Posted by trentcwwilson View Post
Um....I'm NOWHERE near 60k. Hodgdon list 48,600 at a max of 45 grains. I'm shooting 44.7.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Regardless, there are harmonics at play. Even with a "20mm barrel blank" there is still flex. It only takes .040" of "movement" at the muzzle to give you 4" of movement at 100 yards. Only .038 MOA of angle change at the muzzle if you want angular measurement. Want to see how flexible your barrel really is? When the action is out of the stock place each end in a v-block on a solid surface (like concrete).

Put a dial indicator under the center of the barrel and lay a 20# bag of shot on it. Read the change on your dial indicator. Be prepared to be surprised at how much change there is. It's just metal's nature and as long as the modulus of elasticity is not exceeded, it just springs back. Heck, even concrete flexes. I've had the misfortune of having to change a flat tire on a bridge and there's enough flex to make some people get "sea-sick".

What's hard to visualize is how small changes yield such large results.

Want to be totally confused? A rifle with a brake behaves totally different than one without. Just the difference in recoil can shift POI an amazing amount due to how the shooter's body behaves during those critical Milliseconds between ignition and the bullet leaving the barrel.

I don't think there is a thing wrong with your barrel, rifle, brake, load, or even your shooting technique. You are just seeing a natural phenomena that can be dealt with by simply changing the Zero with the brake attached and enjoy your shooting.

FWIW, I shoot twice a week and frequently sit next to a friend who's constantly putting on and taking off his muzzle brake. Don't know exactly why but he experiences the same thing with POI shift. Nothing wrong with his rifle as he's regularly in the top three at local competitions with more than just a few wins.