About a year ago someone provided a link to a file for making a bolt protector with a 3D printer. An enterprising member here printed up some and sold them. I bought one, but I also investigated having them made. Unfortunately, there were a couple of problems with the design. First of all it had the words Savage engraved into it, a copyright infringement, but also the hardness of the plastic is a big factor in making it successful. The one I had was destroyed when I put a brand new model 12 bolt in it and tried to remove (you have to cock the bolt to remove) and the cocking pin tore into the plastic. I had to disassemble the bolt to get it out.

But the idea was sound, so I made one out of Oak and plywood, and it works great. Not only keeps my bolt safe when out of the action, but I use it to inspect the bolt head and firing pin in the uncocked condition. That ability came in handy a couple of weeks ago when a primer blanked and the small piece of the primer went up the firing pin hole and jammed the firing pin, keeping it from striking the primer on the next shot.

I inserted the bolt into the protector, uncocked it, and could immediately see that the pin was not protruding from the bolt head. I quickly disassembled it, shook out the primer piece and was back together and shooting in a matter of minutes. No further investigation needed.

I don't compete in shooting, but if i did, that little piece of equipment could have saved the day.

I'll post some pics if anyone's interested.