Thank you all-

using good scope taken from 1-hole .308- Vortex with La Rue rings

check stock 1st - no rubbing anywhere. Retorqued screws per Savage instructions - setting loosely, pushing barrel against stock while tightening in order, etc.

shooting 3 round ladders starting at low charges listed in Berger manual then climbing .3 grains at a time.

I did get 1 bug hole group but I think it was a fluke as I cannot mimic the results.

I know the gunsmith who set the barrel - he built 4 of my Remington's and told me of the gun.

seller claimed 1/2" group was the best it ever did but I can't even get that.

Recoil no problem - have shot groups with 45-70, 6.5x284, 300 Saum, etc. very good with recoil

monkey fist brake and 3/4" recoil pad in place so recoil pretty minimal as far as 300's go - I did have my body watch me and shoot it with phone for review just in case - no noticeable flinch.

I was having trouble with cheek well so I switched cheek pads - I think that may help.

I will tear down and check everything per above - and try surface ground recoil lug and barrel nut next, maybe bolt head.

thanks for your answers guys - this is my 1st post nad I have a feeling I found a "home"

RC - I have never shot an 06 if you can believe it. Have ways like the springfields but never got into vintage guns - accuracy is my "thing". Have been shooting out to 1K - got the 300 to go a little further (1.5k). How is the 06 for distance - maybe the AI version? Sounds interesting as me likely barrel life.

Thnks again to all - I will be reading and rereading all of the above.

JD