Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
Is it just the mechanics of changing a barrel you're interested in? Or are you exploring your options with the intent of building a better, more accurate rifle? If the latter, there is a lot you can do that doesn't cost a lot of coin, OR you can spend a fortune on, depending upon your desired outcome, before you start assembly.

I changed my first barrel simply because I'd shot out the original and wanted a tighter twist to shoot heavier bullets with the intent of shooting long range. So I literally bought the barrel, action vice and go gage and was done in like 20 minutes. Kinda anti-climatic after all that waiting for parts to arrive. But I didn't gain much over the performance of the stock barrel as I kept it as originally chambered, and didn't go Ackley improved for instance.

Share your goals with us and perhaps more suggestions will pour in, but beware.....when you start changing barrels, you're about to fall headfirst down a verrrry deep rabbit hole!

Kinda addicting!
The Ruger barrel is about shot out. Honestly I could not find a prefit barrel for it so I got the Stealth. Just recently found a smith that is making prefits for the Ruger. I've considered a caliber change, maybe a 6 creedmoor. Not to big of a change, but I have a lot of 6.5 brass that I could neck down. I've thought 6.5 x47 too, but at this point is just I have a rifle with a barrel that's gone.
Barrel and tools will probabbly cost more than just buying a new Ruger American but I'd like to learn to do it. Even if it does have me jumping head first down that Rabbit hole. My thoughts are learn on the Ruger because at some point the Stealth's barrel will go to.