Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
.270 is superior to the 7-08. Yeah it has a little more recoil but there is something magic about a 130gr bullet at 3200fps. Thunderbolts and Lightning in a brass case.
If you are worried about recoil give Hodgdons H4895 a try. It can be safely loaded down by as much as 60% of a max charge. Here's a link to some youth hunting load data. http://www.wwpowder.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf This data is not all the way at the bottom of the charge scale and provides significant recoil reduction with plenty of killing power and is probably close if not less than a .243 in recoil. The recoil drops off much more sharply than the velocity and with this powder you can adjust the recoil to your liking and still maintain good velocity. Downloading the .270 may just save you a nice chunk of change while retaining the best of the .270s capability. More than one way to skin a cat.

The 7-08 and the .308 are so close to each other to be nearly identical in most every way at practical hunting ranges with similar weight bullets. I bought into the 7-08 hype many years ago and quickly realized there wasn't enough difference to keep buying ammo and components for em both. I have been downloading the .308 for the grandkids nieces and nephews with H4895 and 125-130gr bullets for a while now and have gotten to where I prefer to shoot em myself. 8 and 9 year old relatives go through em like they're candy popping off 50 rounds in a range trip and wanting more with a big grin on their faces. Being able to stretch the budget with less powder is another plus.
Just thought I'd throw an alternative out there for you to consider.

Another alternative is the 25-06. Built one for my now adult son when he was 11 and liked it so much had to get one for myself. 4 grandkids later he still hunts with it every season. Those 110gr accubonds at 3200 get on out there and take care of business while being a puddy tat on the back end.
Thunderbolts and Lightning in a brass case...