For a board dedicated to Savage rifles there seems to be a lot of negative feelings toward them. My 110 has never had ejection problems but it has occasionally had feed problems. Would I use it on the dangerous animals that populate my yard? You bet. You should be making the first shot count and that first shot should be already in the chamber before being charged by the black bear that hang around outside. I can see where I could be stalked by either a bear or a mountain lion (both of which are in my area although the mountain lions are very rare). So I do prefer my trusty 12 ga. with K.O. slugs for instant stopping power. But I have carried my .30-06 110 for protection against those black furry critters. My main concern is that I live in a populated area and I don't want my neighbors ending up on the wrong end of a bullet. Slugs don't travel nearly as far.

I didn't buy my 110 for dangerous game. It just sort of was adopted for that purpose because the bear showed up. Believe me it's the safety that I will be worried about when facing a bear because I will have a round in the chamber. Second shots aren't really likely to be available anyway unless I'm using my pump shotgun. And that I trust very much to work at all times. still getting off a second shot even with a pump isn't a likely scenario. If I'm being charged I'm going to be trying very hard to make that first shot count. And I can do that with my 110.

Would I like to own a much more expensive weapon for dealing with dangerous critters? Actually I do. It's a S&W .44 magnum and it's enough of a gun to deal with the dangerous game around my area. And that I have no doubts about working every time. And I might actually get off a second shot with it.