Quote Originally Posted by flangster View Post
FWIW, I am a fairly new reloader and have tried a bunch of dies -- Redding, Lee, Forster, RCBS, Wilson (so much for buy once/cry once). . . Runout has been the least with a Forster micrometer seating die and with a Wilson/arbor press set up. If I had to go to next on the list, I'd go Redding.

I too am limited to 100 yards, but I'm chasing that one-hole group so accuracy/repeatability is important. I am on the fence about neck-sizing. I have/am trying it, but so far it appears as likely as not to introduce a new set of variables rather than eliminate them. Perhaps there is an advantage on case neck life? But annealing can help there too.

Unless you are reloading for a variety of rifles in the same caliber, I am not sure that the micrometer feature is useful. You are going to have to measure the completed rounds anyway . . .you can do this as easily without the index markings on the microseater as anything else. Of more importance to me is seating the bullets in a consistent way, pushing on the bullets' ogive. BTW, have you measured the runout you are currently getting? If your setup produces runout of +/- 1, I don't think a fancier die is necessarily going to improve it.

Good luck -- let us know what you choose and how it works.
I started out neck sizing and then went back to f/l sizing after realizing there were no accuracy gains to be realized from it. My feeling is that it's fine for someone who's alternative is "full" full length sizing but sizing and bumping the shoulder back a couple thousandths each time gives more consistency and doesn't adversely affect case life. Lubricating cases has never been a big deal to me (I use Imperial wax).

Since I already had the RCBS dies on order, I'm going to try them and see. If I'm not satisfied with the results I'll return them to Amazon or keep them to use for the M1A that I just committed to buying. They arrived this afternoon so I'll set them up tonight and try them out tomorrow. I'll report back.