Quote Originally Posted by tcoz View Post
I was comparing micrometer dies to micrometer dies. I'll likely be using a number of different bullets and have found the micrometer seating dies to be much easier and faster for this. The thought never occurred to me to use the standard (non-mic) die.

Do you feel that I would derive enough benefit from the Forster dies (don't forget, only 100 yds) to balance the lack of micrometer seating? Do you consider Forster seating dies to be the best because they produce ammo with almost no runout? Any reason why Forster sizing dies are better than any others?
BTW, I'm f/l sizing for my Savage bolt gun. IMO, the advantages to neck sizing are not having to lube and case life which is less of an issue when only bumping the shoulder .002.
I am not a proponent of neck sizing. I have done it and seen no real benefits and a host of problems.

Well i have both micro and regular. The micros look cool and adjustments are easy to dial in. But the benchrest seater is very easy to dial in too just different. I find that with most rifles i find my bullet, powder charge and seating depth pretty quickly. Then i am through adjusting the die.

Yes there is a difference that makes them better. The location of the expander ball in the sizing die is one of.the secrets to low runout. On the seating die it is the floating sleeve that helps align the bullet and the case. Just overall quality would be enough.

You can read about them and decide for yourself

Sounds like you are on the path to become a precision shooter. Best to start to collect.quality equipment that you can grow with. Those dies will last.a lifetime. I believe.each rifle.should.have.its.own set of.dies. when i get.my sizing.die.set i put.a.lock ring.on it.and.don't mess with it.again.

You have.a lot.to learn. It is.a great journey. Good.luck.