Quote Originally Posted by 65Whelen View Post
I'm new to the Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut and I would build. But back to the OP question which action is best. This is an area about Savage that is real fussy to me. I understand long and short actions but you got 10/110s, 11/111s and 12/112s what are the differences, what's top of the line, what are the nuances?
There is a FAQ that covers a lot of this but for the most part, 2 digits ie...10, 11, 12, 14 and 16 are short actions. Long actions being 3 digits 110, 111, 112, 114, 116. You have the older models and are mostly flat back and are stagger feed. The mag box is attached to the action. The newer actions are center feed and the mags box is not attached to the action Then you have some model 12's that came with target actions, They have no mag boxes. More recently you have a repeater target action with the LRP and the BA. The Ba even came in a long action and a 338 Lapua action. Long actions both feed types have the same action screw Centerline distance ( but the inlet is different) and short actions between the two feed types is different. The bolt release has been on the top for a long time but recently Savage has been trying to make their rifles more sexy so they have gone to a smooth nut and a bottom bolt release. There is more but I am tired. Good night.