Quote Originally Posted by joeb33050 View Post
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whic...ated-under-nfa

Which firearms are regulated under the NFA?

(1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;
(2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;
(3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;
(4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;
(5) any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e);
(6) a machinegun;
(7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and
(8) a destructive device.
[26 U.S.C. 5845; 27 CFR 479.11]
Last
I read this to allow making a rifle with a barrel over 16" long and total length over 26" long; and have been making and shooting such for several years.
Repeated requests to ATF offices for rulings about this have had NO response.
joe b.
This is how I read it as well. just seeing if others have done the same.

I have recently wanted to get into handgun hunting (all of the thrill of archery hunting without the startup cost/ constant training/conditioning) and I've really seen some nice rear grip savages over the years. I wanted to get into a contender but man those things have gotten pricey! so a rear grip savage would be the cheapest route for me. it would literally only cost me a stock (thinking boyds pro varmint and chop/contour pistol grip in a cool laminate color) then I would just need the barrel. I figure I'd build it off a long action to add some length to get me above 26" then buy a inexpensive take off barrel in say .308 (did savage make factory .338 federal barrels?) then I could chop it to ~14" and thread it, make a radial style brake and pin/weld it to keep it legal. I have a 300WM barrel laying around I could use as well just down load it.

If I get drawn for elk this year I'd really like to give handgun hunting a shot.