Thread: Velocity WAY over book values, what causes this?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Darkker, perhaps my ignorance is showing, so let me try to clear up what I mean by "throat". It is my understanding that the throat, also called the leade, is the tapered portion of the barrel forward of the chamber and before the rifling starts. When a round is chambered, this is the area the Ogive of the bullet sits if it is short of the lands. So, to clarify, I am getting scraping along the ogive of the bullet as it is pushed forward by my OAL gage while attempting to contact the lands. The bullet comes to an abrupt stop at the lands, and requires a light tap from a cleaning rod to extract. I do have a bore scope camera I use to inspect this area, and am fairly confident I am correctly describing what is going on. But since there is no way to actually see what is happening while using the OAL tool, I am to a certain extent, guessing.

Anyway, as always you offer some sage advice about powder lots and book values. I know I can simply back off the charge and give up a little group size to jump, but the larger issue here is safety of this particular gun.

I've made an appointment with a good 'smith to look at it and maybe re-cut the throat, perhaps make it a bit deeper too.

From everybody, I'd like to say that all the responses have been very useful, and I appreciate all the input from you guys. Always a pleasure to read what you have to say, and I take all of it very seriously.

Again, thank you for all the advise, and for being so quick to respond.
    Last edited by Texas10; 01-17-2017 at 03:42 PM.