Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
Well ive had bullets blow 20' off, but it was over 1600 yds, and it was with a 200 gr bullet from a 30x378.
It would be one thing if it were a steady wind and you could adjust for it.
But otherwise you will never catch up with it at those distances, regardless of how good a shot you are.
Another thing that's very possible with wind at extreme distances, at least for hunters, is the very real possibility of the wrong animal falling over.
Shit happens they say, and especially when people are trying stupid stuff.
The spotter also needs to be the adult in the room, and determine when its time to pack it in.
I try to keep it real, if the wind is over 25 our max is 800 ON GAME, coyotes, porcupines, turtles or rocks? WHO CARES. Most ELR we try to do in as low a wind as possible but beggars cant be choosers. If you don't shoot in high winds you will never improve, never get the data that shooting provides and where I hunted and shot, you will never shoot at all.
Wind reading is science/art. Where I hunted it was pretty science oriented as the lay of the land and the wind chargers gave us a high flow number but reasonably steady.
As you said someone has to figure when its too crazy, one of the hardest issues is literally holding still enough, its why I went to 40lb rigs. A 10lb rig a 30mph wind will blow all over.