Quote Originally Posted by mrcusn View Post
Hope you have better luck with your .22 Hornet than me. I continue to have extraction problems on fired cases. I sent the firearm back to Savage and they said they fixed it. I took it to the range today and continue to have extraction problems on fired cases. It's a little better than before when I couldn't extract loaded or fired cases. Now, about 1 in 5 fired cases don't extract. I have to use a cleaning rod to poke them out and they come out with just a touch to the shell casing with a cleaning rod. Anybody out there have a similar problem with the Mod. 25 in .22 Hornet?
I just got a "new old stock" Model 40, the single shot version of the Model 25 as I understand it. I shot it for the first time yesterday. I'm using hand loaded Nosler (new) cases and 40 gr Nosler "Varmageddon" BT FB bullets. The first two fired cases stuck in the chamber, but released with a light tap from a cleaning rod. To my surprise, from then on I had no such problem. In fact, the cases extracted easily and flew five or six feet when ejected. Fired cases have slight marks where the extractors passed over the edges of the case rims, which with Nosler brass, are flat. I've yet to try this rifle with loads using other brands of brass, but I will with Remington (R-P) brass for sure. I'll update this when I do, but until then, I would encourage anyone with these extraction problems to try other cases.