Not arguing for or against, but an alternative depending on what you like.

I have a Boyds Thumbhole light weight hunter stock on a 30-06. I have gotten that gun down under 5/8 inch pretty consistently.

Weight wise I don't think there is a lot of difference, it may be lighter than a composite.

I shoot that gun against Heavy Thumb holes and if its not as accurate, its close enough that its how I am shooting which one at any given time (and maybe a 30-06 vs a 308 as the 308 is reputed to be a tad more accurate)

The part I like is that they look good. Nice combo of the dark brown with a stainless barrel and a blued receiver in the case of the 30-06.

If there was an accuracy difference (for how I shoot) I would go with a composite stock, I am getting 1/2 inch and better groups about 3/8 of the time and I think the shifts are me not the stock.

Worth a look. I know the stark tactical look has its own appeal, I am not against it, I just bias more to wood.

The Laminated stocks per Boyd's don't warp of shift so they are good in maintaining accuracy.

All 3 wear a different color and various combos on barrel and receiver, I have a lot of people compliment one of them, sometimes all 3.

Lot of color choices from Boyds.