Quote Originally Posted by fly-n-arrow View Post
I'm planning on rebarreling my Stevens 200 action with a pre-fit from CBI, Shilen, X-Caliber, etc. I was planning on a sporter weight .270 barrel for a hunting rifle. I just read some posts where guys are saying that it's not worth it to spend the extra money on a pre-fit and to just go with a factory take-off. I just want a really accurate hunting rifle. Am I really not going to see a difference between the factory take-off barrel and the others?

I'm new to this arena so I don't have any experience with rebarreling the Savage rifles. I appreciate any insight you folks can give me.
That's a foolish argument.
Some Savage barrels are accurate, some are complete dog food. That has ALWAYS been the case with Savage. The same is possible with anything, including barrels.

I did a review a few years ago, on an ER Shaw I got from GunShack. Came with a tight spot in the bore, near the muzzle. My fix? Ignore it and shoot the dog poop out of it, like I do to all my guns. That rifle is my preferred rifle for mile shooting.

Now as to "worth it". That is a description that should only be used when explaining your personal preference. Drinking with strippers all night, waking up with a hangover and wild memories may not be "worth it" to you, but to some of us it definitely is.