Ok BHJ: Lets get down to brass tacks! I am at least a decent shooter.

First" We are on board with the 30-06, I love it. I think its the most versatile cartage in the world (the Mauser 7.92 comes close but its not as wide spread and doe snot have the range of bullets the 06 has. ) My first build was a bull barrel 30-06, special order on the barrel as none in the US.

30-06 though is not intended for 125 grain bullets, I know some will shoot them well etc, but this is a 1-10 twist (?) and I would not be surprised if you could not hit the broad side of a barn either. My brother has one that does shoot them pretty darned good.

What barrels do you have on what guns?

Are you shooting 3 or 5 shot groups. I am all on board with 3 shot hunting groups, you really want to wring out a gun it has to be 5 or 10.

I am going to try again on my Savage 30-06 thin, but it sure did not show anything, a good barrel particularly in 30-06 shoots every decently and then some really good.

It should also shoot factory decently. when I had my 7mm, while not a tack driver, it was good 1.5 inch day in day out with over the counter ammo.

I doubt even back then I could not hold 1.5 inch to save my life if I was standing (though I only took one shot like that)