Thread: Show your tactical/precision rifle/snipery/truck axle Savage!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
    BigHonkinJeep: How did you paint your stock. I really like that.
    Thanks for the compliment It's a Choate tactical for a heavy barreled long action, the same model like the one doc posted above. Once I put my rifle in it I just thought it was too much black (if there is such a thing) LOL.

I used 4 different colors of rustoleum camo 2x ultra cover paint. A light "army" green, a khaki, a "deep forest" green, and a "earth" brown.
    This is the stuff https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-Camouflage-Ultra-Cover-2x-Deep-Forest-Green/35031512

I used a sea sponge like the ones they sell at hobby or craft shops, they even have the sea sponges at Wal mart in the craft section.

First things first was prep. I made sure the stock was completely degreased by wiping it down with denatured alcohol on a clean rag. Then, off to paint

Start with the light colors first. Sprayed the whole thing with a coat of Khaki gave it about 20 minutes to dry and then painted alternating light green slightly diagonal stripes. After it dried for a half hour or so, Then blot on the darker colors. I sprayed a puddle of the darker olive drab green onto a slick magazine page and dabbed the sponge into it. Then pressed the sea sponge with the OD paint onto the Khaki stripes. Then with a clean magazine page repeated the process using the darker brown over the lighter green stripes. Its basically darker forest green over light khaki brown and darker earth brown over lighter army green.

It's known as the "sponge camo" method and is the easiest way I know of to produce a professional modern looking pattern. It also provides a nice little bit of texture to the stock which I like.

Here's another one on a little carbine I did with just 2 colors a while back. This one is khaki and olive drab green using the same method. This one has several clear coats of Testors (model paint) "dull coat" spray lacquer on it After hunting season ( I don't want it to smell like fresh paint till after the season) I'll probably do the 4 color job on it to give it more of a woodland type pattern like I have on the 110FP.

Give it a try if you like the look. It's super easy and fun project. Heck I even did a cheap black nylon sling on the carbine and surprisingly it has held up for years.
    Good luck and I hope I'm not too far off the thread topic with this post.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 11-23-2016 at 12:48 AM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.