Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
just curious why you say if less than 1500 rounds?

TO THE OP...
why not build a 6XC, 6creedmoor or something along those lines so you dont need to fire form brass? if you go with a 6mm...also brass for the 6mm CM is pretty cheap and if you want better brass you can neck down the nosler 6.5mm CM or lapua will soon be hitting the market....run a 7.5 twist and shoot heavy bullets.
or build a 6.5mm...260 rem or a 6.5 creedmoor run an 8 twist and shoot 140+ grain bullets...either one will out preform a 308...as far as the warner flat line bullets go...they come with big numbers and a big price to match...for price of 500 198s you can buy a 1000 6 or 6.5 bullets and have money left for a couple of pounds of powder and some primers.
I considered a .243ai, 6 creedmoor and 6x47 lapua but the barrel life on alot of those wildcats diminishes considerably vs a standard 6br or even the 6brx, dasher, ect.... I don't shoot competitions nor do I plan to any time soon.

I was also boner'd out on getting a 6.5, but being the cheap arse I am there is little to no savings over a .308 and again you have half the barrel life of a .308.

another thing I didn't mention was I like my handy short barrels. my .308 is 18.5" and I love it, i've hunted with it, and shoot it long range for fun. the above cartridges suffer greatly starting at 24" and below. I personally want no more than a 20" barrel as I do have suppressor stamps inbound and I don't want a mile long rig with the suppressor attached.

the above cartridges also have 1 thing in common. They love H4350 and I haven't seen h4350 in years out here (sold a .260 barrel because of that 3 years ago) the 6br and it's wildcats love powers like varget and 8208xbr which I keep on hand and can readily replace it when needed.

No doubt the warner flat lines come at a premium, not going to deny that one bit. but I have no intentions on shooting them regularly if I ever go down that path. they would be strictly used past 1400yds and I'm a long ways away from shooting that far. I think you'd be suprised if you run the #'s of my 208 a-max at 2525 vs a 6.5 creedmoor with 140's. i'm giving up nothing to the 6.5's other than recoil which I will admit is pretty fierce. and thats with a 5.5" shorter barrel which with my suppressor will be roughly the same length as a 24" barrel.

That's why i'm having such a hard time with this. I want to try something new but the startup costs of a new setup could = alot of shooting with what I have.