Thread: on the fence with reloading and where to go with my 308

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Living in the desert where 30+ degree temperature swings from morning to mid day are normal and very large temp differences from summer in the desert and winter just a few hours north. I have over the years learned to consolidate to one load per rifle. so I can learn it well. the more data I can gather with that given load the more consistant I can be. and I don't want to have a summer load and winter load. with powders like RE17 in .308 I was getting great velocities but accuracy was all over the place from season to season as was velocity which really messes up your dope especially with distance involved which is very common in my AO. so I sacrificed velocity going to varget and I try and do my load development during the summer and I load to the top of the node. and I verify in the winter and the swings are far better than it was with RE17. that load will also stay sub MOA with it being on the money(1/2-3/4moa) during the more comfortable shooting temps in the fall/spring.

I'm getting the same results with IMR 8208 xbr in .223 with 77's vs TAC I used to run. I have a co-worker who runs the same load year round in his 300WM but subs a 215m primer for his elk hunts vs a 210m as where and when he hunts elk he has run into hang fires on occasion. but the 205m gives him lower sd/es when its warmer.

as with anything your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 11-08-2016 at 10:02 PM. Reason: wrong primer info