Quote Originally Posted by rdog52 View Post
1) I shoot F-Class (F-T/R with a 308). I currently use a Savage PTA with a 30" bull barrel from Criterion. I see many shooting F-T/R with longer barrels - many 32" barrels on conventionally shouldered barrel set ups.

2) My question is this - most of the pre-fit barrel manufacturers list 30" for the max length for the bull barrel. Is there a reason for this?
3) Is the Savage nut configuration not as strong as a conventional shouldered barrel set up?
4) If I have a barrel made to use the nut in a bull profile that finished at 31" am I stressing the action more than if I had one made up with a shoulder and no nut?
1) .....OK..... Not sure why you would use that long of a barrel when you are allowed to use a scope(I get it with iron sights), but Age Quod Agis.
2) the reason is most folks looking for a "drop-in" savage barrel, are regular folks. Not looking for a $300 DIY F-T/R competition rifle. Those are typically specially purpose built.
3) Not at all, I would suspect it's as much about Voodoo, as anything. More on this in a moment.
4) Not at all.
So I'm not getting up to get specific measurements, so focus on the point more than the absolute numbers here.

Small shank barrels and receivers are 1-1/16" diameter. So the outer diameter of the action let's call 1.25".
Now whether you use a shoulder or a nut, the threads are 1-1/16" diameter. Also, whether you use a nut or a shoulder; the outer diameter matches the action at 1.25".

So shoulder or nut, there is 0.1875" of contact against the action to torque the threads against. That isn't better or worse, it's THE SAME. So do you like the look of the nut? Does your witch doctor barrel man have a story about the angels not liking one system? Just equally different ways to do the same thing.