Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams82 View Post
Hello all. I am new to the forum, and honestly new to owning my own hunting rifle. I have used my dad's rifles for years, and am also an active duty Marine, so I have plenty of experience shooting. I purchased a 111 Long Range Hunter in .300WM about 6 months ago and mounted a vortex diamondback HP scope on it. I have been shooting it quite a bit in preparation for this year's hunting season. I have probably put 2 or 3 hundred rounds through it. The problem is that I am still not very confident in the rifle... I know that is a bit vague... I did quite a bit of research on the various models available before i bought the rifle and I know it has a good reputation as accurate. I zeroed it at 200 yards and the best group I can get out of it is about 6 to 8 inches off a bipod in the prone. I can shoot a smaller group than that with an AR kneeling from the same distance. When I increase the distance the problem obviously compounds, and with hunting season getting close I am worried. I have been shooting 180 grain remington core lokt ammo, which isn't the best stuff available but I don't think it should make THAT much of a difference. or am I wrong on that? Are there any issues with these rifles I might need to address to tighten the groups up a bit? I have noticed that the compensator that came on it always comes loose after a few rounds, does anyone have issues with those? Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.
Two to three hundred rounds of the same ammo with the same results should have answered your own question.