Ok perfect.....this is the thread I've been watching for. I have a new Axis II XP 30-06 with the hardwood stock and cheap Weaver scope that just came out of the box last Thursday. This rifle, for me, has just one purpose and I suspect it won't run 200 rounds in my lifetime. I have a makeshift range on my land that I can safely shoot a couple lanes just over 100 yards, but my kill zone(s) will likely be between 50 and 80 yards. I have thoroughly cleaned and lubricated the gun and it feels good and smooth except for the horrible pull necessary to rack open the bolt. Apparently that is the nature of this beast. My skills with a rifle of this caliber are limited, and this is the first scoped rifle I've purchased NIB.

So far, I've learned two things. 1) My skills with a couple sand bags on the hood of my pickup suck, and 2) the bore sighting and "out of the box accuracy" of this particular Savage was not on the paper at 50 yards. I've run 8 rounds of Hornady Whitetail 180 gr. and I ran 6 more rounds of Winchester PowerCore 150 gr. today. I just finished assembling a new Primos "group therapy" bench rest and I am anxious to walk through the process of sighting and calibrating this gun. I'm hoping that the benchrest will help take "me" out of the equation so that when it comes time to kill that nice buck I've been watching, my shooting skills are primary.

Are there bits of wisdom that you guys will share? Maybe a reliable link or two that would take me through this break-in and calibration process? Thanks in advance, BZimm.