That has been one of my questions as to how the factory handles it. Iron sights even as backup used to be common, not nearly so much now.

I know I tried to get my XC barrel stamp where it could be seen, could not make it happen as very little turn makes huge difference (though I am running tight chamber on it)

Possibility is to use the whole range available.

You can make a No Go gauge into a field reject gauge by putting a piece of tape on the back.

Keep in mind that a field reject is a new chamber thing and quality control. All my Model of 1917s run out to the end of field reject and no problems with brass. Once it fire forms you can treat it normally and it does not kill it. Putting it into a non field reject chamber would be a problem, you would have to do the full bump back cam over on the press to get it there. Keep the brass separate for that application and fine.

You would have to use the go gauge and tight (not keen on factory ammo as a gauges) and then see where the sight was.

Next time I do a barrel I will play with it and see how possible it is, mark the front of a barrel at a random point and see if it can be lined up.

That said Savage may also have it closely indexed enough to have a specify spot to put the sight on the barrel that then works but that's a guess. Shims?