Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
The new go-gage arrive today from Midway. I had installed the new 22-250 barrel a few days ago and had used a new Lapua case to set headspace. Bolt closed on new case, would not close on new case with one layer of Scotch tape (.002 thick).

Today I chambered the Go gage and the bolt would not close on it. If I have learned anything, this means I have adjusted the headspace to below SAMMI specs.

Presuming I am going to shoot only hand loads, and can adjust my FL die to bump the shoulder to fit MY chamber, is the way to limit case growth?

Thanks for any help.
New virgin brass typically runs a few thousandths less head clearance than minimum chamber headspace. Since you're only reloading its not a big deal resizing the brass to fit the chamber provided your die and shellholder will allow it. Now, if you have to shorten the die and or use a holder with less deck height you may want to use the gauge to reset the HS and fire the brass as-is. Its six of one or a half dozen of the other depending which way you want to go.

Bill