Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
The easiest way is to use an auger bit with a screw point. It will need to be driven with a drill that has some balls.....that laminate is hard going into the end grain.
Reminds me of this spring when I cut down 2 large popple trees on my rental property... I cut them down and left the stumps about 2 feet proud of the ground and poceeded to drill 1" diameter holes in the faces with a screw type auger shucked in my Makita corded hammer drill, it's about 2 horsepower. The auger but into the wood and started down and got in about 2 inches and I found myself lifted off the ground rotating with the drill motor, the auger was locked in the stump. Glad it wasn't a cordless drill motor. When I ran out of cord, it stopped and so did I. I wound up with a huge bruise on my arm and a great respect for the power of a Makita hammer drill.

I had to back the auger out with a 3/4 drive socket on the end and a 3/4 breaker bar. The stumps are still there and I need to get the cajonies up to drill more holes and fill them diesel fuel so I can roast the stumps.... maybe in the spring....

Screw type augers and a brace and bit might be ok, but a screw auger and a power drill are a no-no.