Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
Well.... FWIW
As long as you don't over-pressure things, brass life should be completely normal. "signs" of excessive pressure, mean VERY excessive pressure, that's why many think brass life is short in certain things. Typically Lapua tests cases to 130% of cartridge pressure. So when you "notice signs" you can bet you are near 130% of operating pressure.

I've never understood the tape part, personally. What that does is allows the gauge to appear longer, than it otherwise is, meaning that you have more headspace, not less.
It really depends on your objective.

I think a lot of it comes from the military where brass life is a laugh, all they want it to do is work.

Ergo, good chamber clearance, plenty of headspace.

Brits and the 303 are famous for it, 3 reloads and its a goner no matter what you do.

From personal experience, the Model of 1917s out of the box almost fail a field reject gauge.

What you are doing with the tape on the go gauge is making it act like a no go gauge (or someplace in between depending on how thick a piece of tape you use or layers)

Hunting you also do not want tight, not as much as military but not cramp in tight.

Target shooting, whole different story. I am inclined to tight but not where there is pressure on the bolt closing. That's just me, YRMV, I am just shooting targets these days