Thread: model 11 bolt different than 10 or 12?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Yes and no. What olddafv said is also sort of true, many times.

These are newer designs, but not necessarily better or worse. If you intend to leave them "as is" or maybe just change bolt heads, they are as good, maybe better than old style. Yes, they take the same bolt heads and baffles as the others. Not all models have been changed to these, and they are not necessarily distinctive by model number. For example, Model 12FV uses old style, as does Hog Hunter, which is a Model 11. Model 10T uses newer style... You just said your new model 11 has the new style. Don't waste your time trying to figure out all of Savage model numbers and reasoning for every change. There is a possibility that all future bottom bolt release actions will have these newer bolts, while top bolt release models retain the older style, but I don't know. Besides, they are notorious for mixing and matching parts to build a new version of an old model with whatever concoction of parts they might have laying around or have in excess.

One advantage, if you like it, is you have a "cocking indicator" on the new ones. When cocked, the back of the firing pin is seen protruding thru the bolt assembly screw, as noted. Is that good or bad? Depends. If you wanted to install a simple homemade "lift kit", it's bad, Won't work. If you never intended to do so, it doesn't matter.

Perhaps it is an easier or cheaper manufacturing or assembly process, I don't know. It is one of many changes Savage has made the last several years I don't particularly like, but I still buy them.
    Last edited by foxx; 08-26-2016 at 10:23 PM.