Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
I remember this from your YouTube video! I came across it when I posted my own video diatribe about Boyds and the decreasing quality of their non-wood parts. I still prefer something that would positively lock in place so I didn't need to worry about losing a small, $30 piece, but this idea is solid. Sharp Shooter Supply Axis stocks have a similar feature, but I believe theirs acts as a front pillar as well.

All in all, I don't mind plastic locking points for the magazine. It's the plastic bearing structures for the action screws that bugs me.
I just watched your video! Very informative. This was my first Boyds stock, so I have only seen the latest version (Varmint Thumbhole) with the plastic front mount and plastic trigger guard. The stock itself feels very solid, but I sure was disappointed with the plastic and how easily they cracked when applying torque to the action screws. I will keep my eye on the rear plastic magazine catch. I looked at it pretty close, but didn't think it would be under too much of a load with the .308, but a magnum cartridge might be a different story.

I'm probably going to do some more modifications to the stock, not structurally, but to better fit my hand and trigger reach. Maybe design an over-sized trigger guard for a better fit when wearing gloves.