Thread: Stevens 325?

Stevens 325?

Can the barrels on this rifle be switched as with the other Savage models? Mine is a 30-30 and I'd like to do a switch barrel but am not sure it can be done. Is the bolt a problem?

Basic Member
    good question, I wish I had the answer.

Bruce

Basic Member
    did a little searching and found the threads are smaller and won't interchange with the 10/110 series.

Bruce

Thanks for that assistance, Bruce.

bill_meilahn

Change barrels on Stevens 325/Savage 340

A late post, FYI. I have done this a few times, converting two guns from 30-30 to .223. Simple barrel changes can be easily done, just as with the 110 series. The 340 series has a different thread pattern, however, so you must get a barrel threaded to that series of gun. Warning: if you want to change calibers, it may turn out to be a much bigger job than you anticipate. You may have to change the bolt head, which may change the ejection system from the spring-loaded flipper to a bolt-face plunger. Also, the magazines are caliber-specific, as are all the magazine attachment guides, etc., which will involve disassembly of the trigger mechanism. After all is said and done, the cost of the new/different parts required will probably exceed the cost of buying another gun in the caliber you desire.