Thread: Head Space gauge VS once fired full lenghted

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage
    Only one of my rifles/pistols has ever been set using gauges. That was/is a .221 Fireball. And after the head space was reset using the SAAMI gauge, it was reset again to closer specs. Not one of my rigs will chamber factory loaded ammo. Head space is too snug/tight. (I Love It That Way) You move much less brass when resizing. Mostly shoulder bump and neck size. Full length or body size only when/as needed. Brass lasts at least 25 + reloads before I even think about trimming being needed. .223 and .308 for gas guns get full length resized.
    All head space is set using full length sized brass. New or resized, makes no difference.
    Only gauges I ever used got sold to someone that needed them more than I did.
    Not sure if I've ever compared the head space set with resized brass to gauges but I know factory built ammo wouldn't fit in the chamber. That was a good enough comparison for me.
    So what it comes down to is, if you're reloading and using resized brass to set the headspace, you're building "custom" ammo. Your's won't fit mine and mine won't fit your's. And custom built ammo is better than any over the counter ammo, any day!!
    Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 05-12-2016 at 09:16 AM.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.