The best groups out of the factory barrel were around an inch at 100 yards. Only thing was that a different bullet weight or even type of bullet of the same weight might not even be on the paper at 100 yards! I sighted in with 55gr FMJ and went coyote hunting with 55gr ballistic tips and missed two easy shots. When I took the ballistic tips to the range they were 1 1/2 inch high and 7 inches left of the point of impact of the FMJs!! My new McGowan varmint barrel does not have that problem. Lighter bullets hit higher but in the same vertical zero. When I replaced the barrel I also bought a heavy duty barrel lug and quality barrel nut. The 'new' action (heavier barrel lug) was bedded in the stock and the stock channel was widened to make sure the barrel floated. I had previously floated the tang and I replaced the stock Accu-trigger spring with a Savage target spring.

I doubt if my experience with the factory barrel is shared by many others and I would feel more comfortable with a factory varmint barrel with a faster (8) twist.