Thread: What if I change stocks after build and load development ?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Your Hornady oal gauge should measure the same with your barrel in the action as it does with your barrel in a vise etc. The gauge doesn't know the difference. It measures from the shoulder of the oal case to the lands. Only thing to check is if your headspace is set proper for the case head to shoulder length. I've changed barrels from one action to another. I run a fired case (fired through this barrel) into the action after setting the headspace with my gauges. If it's tight when closing the bolt then back off just a bit until your bolt closes with slight feeling of the case. Then recheck with headspace gauges to make sure all is well as you can push a case shoulder back if you wrench the bolt down for some reason.

Only way your bullet will have more or less jump is if you machine the barrel or wear the throat down previously to switching. Like I said, your oal Hornady casing doesn't know the barrels even on a gun. I've put barrels on actions and developed loads for that barrel and then moved them to a friends rifles later. I reload for that friend so everything remained the same.

The chasis I've installed on my rifles have made me more accurate, in general. I actually had proper LOP and cheek rest etc. I run 65 in lbs on my action screws on my 3 chasis. Going from an accustock with aluminum bedding block to chasis will probably not change the rifles performance but will allow the shooter a more natural feeling behind the rifle.
    Last edited by hafejd30; 04-04-2016 at 09:11 PM.