Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
I've been shooting once or twice a week for the past 18 months, and reloading just as long, which by no means makes me anything more than a novice. Having made my disclaimer, I am happy to add to the conversation nevertheless.

I shoot the Vmax and Zmax in 223 and I find the Zmax varies in wt by several tenths of a gram wereas the Vmax is very consistent. If you not sorting your Zmax by weight, that might explain what your seeing. Otherwise, your "test" was shot on different trips to the range and that by itself could explain the difference.
IMO Varget is a bit slooooooow for 50 gr. Your bullet is probably getting a good sized kick in the butt as it leaves the barrel due to unburnt powder (exit blast). Hard to argue about that group though, as long as it's consistent, that's worth crowing about (see what I did there…LOL)

I'd shoot 10 each 5 round groups before being satisfied it's a keeper load.

I use 3031, 8208XBR or Tac for my 50 to 55 grain loads. N-133 is also a good one to try if you can find it.

Save the Varget for heavier loads. IIRC it was made for the 308.

Almost forgot to answer your question about seating depth. I tried varying seating depth in 40 thou increments. I saw lowering POI as I got deeper into the case until I hit 120 thou deeper, then group hit much higher. Must have crossed that magic threshold where pressure increased, probably due to changed packing density of propellant.

Indeed, it is rocket science.
Hi Texas10: Thanks for your response. Lots of "views" but lack of responses always leaves me wondering why not a lot of opinions...

BTW- I'm always 'crowing' about something LOL.

Don't know the main reason I usually shoot only 3 except that my gun only holds 4 rounds (blind mag, etc)- I do shoot 4 often; three rounds lets me "see" center of group if there is a spread; If I have shots outside the group I know which shot it was-determine if I blew it and finally here in Pa. where you can use centerfire cartridges, you can only load three. NOW- when I finally get a hunt out west for prairie dogs or ground chucks I'l probably wish I did do some 5 and ten round strings. I do shoot relatively fast, though- try to keep it as "real world" as possible.

I will do some 4 round shot strings to verify the Varget load.

RE: Varget- my thinking was that it's the powder that I have the most of and it is slightly faster than the burn rate of Winchester 748 which I've had terrific results using. However, W748 is a ball powder and is reportedly very temperature sensitive. I guess I figured since it burned slightly faster that the 748 it might be good.

I DO use it in my .308 and so far behind Hornady 155 Gn AMax and 130 Gn. Speer HP it is phenomenally accurate and consistent!

THANKS again for your comments- I'll do an update next week when I can get out to "verify" loads.

Brian