I added up all my Savage actions - 12 - doesn't seem like enough, but it will have to do.

All but two of them are small shank, a short action center / controlled feed with the centerfeed DBM layout and a long controlled feed 300 Ultra Mag length with the old style non center feed mag box originally (not now, using it in a chassis) attached to the action.

I planned on holding on to the large shank to use for a 338 Edge build sometime this spring/summer, but do you really need the large shank for the Edge? My other factory built RUM rifle is a small shank.

After looking at my barrel inventory, I have only a 4 large shank factory barrels that would work on the short action, none really appeal to me and none that need a long action, so the short large shank doesn't really seem needed for anything. I have been considering getting rid of both of the actions and all the large shank barrels and replacing the actions with small shank versions eventually so that I only have to deal with one barrel shank size making every barrel fit on every action I own.

Are there other benefits to keeping a long and a short - large shank action that I am missing, other than possible "deals" on used large shank barrels in the future? (Something to consider for sure.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts / input.