Quote Originally Posted by albaugh6 View Post
It is chambered in 30-06, The caliber has the capabilities of getting out to 1000, however i would like to do it with less recoil.
I will also be trying to attempt to shoot 1/2 moa groups at 100 yds. I have th ability to reload, however I would like to be able to buy factory ammo for it, if need be.
First choice for me would be the .243 Win.

Here's why:
- It's going to be a super light hitter compared to the 30-06 on the recoil front. 12lbs gun slinging 100 or 105gr bullets at just over 3100 fps (advertised) has roughly 5.75lbs free recoil. Same gun in 30-06 shooting 180's at 2800 is roughly 13.5lbs.
- Factory loads are common just about anywhere you might shop
- Huge variety of factory loads so you can get stuff for plinking, target shooting, long range, and even hunting varmints to deer sized game
- If/when you reload there is a ton of data out there for it and lots of bullets, brass, and powders that work really well
- Changes to your gun are minimal as you can use the same mag and bolt head. Just swap the barrel.
- Proven accurate without requiring a lot of effort usually

Second choice would be .308.

Here's why:
- it has all the benefits of the .243, but is going to throw off more recoil for a long range load (180's at 2600fps is 11 lbs free recoil)
- mil-surplus is an option for ammo as well as components if reloading