ok so i did a little playing around yesterday with the PPM and my scale while waiting for some brass to finish tumbling.
now i know that loading by weight and volume are two different things and when loading by volume that im not so much concerned with weight...BUT...i know for a fact that by doing little things differently i can vary the charge weight with a PPM by 1.5g so i was looking for the most consistent way to throw charges with the PPM and the only way i have to reference that difference is by weight...again i know weight is irrelevant when loading by volume i was checking for the best way to get consistent drops.

the powder was H4831sc...my target weight is 45.8g...the VMD 0.0725 was the number i think(i dont have all my numbers in front of me)which was 3.3205cc if i remember correctly...so i set the PPM to 3.3205 according to the instructions and threw 20 charges...as i said i dont have my numbers in front of me but this was the worst of the 4 tests i did with a weight spread of 1.4g...2nd 20 i tapped the hopper two times each throw with the handle up to settle the powder into the chamber and it wasnt much better 1.2g spread.
third 20 i tapped the handle two times each throw while the handle was up and this was quite a bit better .7g spread.
the last 10 i tapped the chamber area two time each throw with the handle down and this seemed to be the best method with a .4g spread.

now some of the spreads above may be because the PPM i used is still pretty new so its not fully broken in and part of it may be some static still in the unit(and yes all parts where wiped with a dry sheet)so i will most likely use my PPM ive had for 8yrs as when its set to a weight it drops 90% within .3g and an occasional .5g spread.

again i know im not so concerned with weight BUT i still like to know whats going on.

all of this testing will be done with H4831sc in fully prep'd peterson brass(similar to lapua and nosler in external and internal weight capacities and neck thickness)BR2 primers in a 28" shilen select match 260rem on a long action savage and 142g SMKs...this barrel shot bug holes when i pulled it to play with that 260AI with 45.8g of H4831sc BR2s and a 142g SMK at .025 off the lands...i will put this barrel back on this week and shoot an OCW by weight to verify the load and fire form the brass and then load 10 by weight and 10 by volume and shoot them side by side...5 each at 100yds and 5 each out farther if the first 10 group well.