Quote Originally Posted by mattri
Looking at building a long action long range rifle. The Savage Varmint and Target actions are only available in short actions. What kind of accuracy can a Savage long action produce, given a decent trigger, barrel and stock?
Better than 95% of the shooters can shot. I have a long range gun built on a long action and it will shoot better than I can. Shot many 5 shot 100 yard groups in the low .3's with that gun. No difference in accuracy in a short or a long action, a well as a single shot or repeater.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a Savage action over a Rem 700? Won't be swapping barrels so that isn't an issue.
Disadvantages, the only I can think of is there is less quality aftermarket parts available for a Savage in comparison to a Remington. The Savage does have a few advantages, with swapping barrels, and bolt heads, to accommodate just about any caliber you can possibly think of. The floating bolt head has positive contact with the lugs, and doesn't require lapping like a Remington, or other bolt actions. Some people have reported gained accuracy in their Remington's buy using a Savage nut on them.

Is there a reputable co blueprinting/improving on the Savage long actions like so many do for the Rem?
Most gun smiths try to do what works on a Remington to a Savage , and it just don't work. They are just different.

One of the top Savage gun smiths in the world is Sharp Shooters Supply, (SSS) they started the aftermarket parts supply for Savage, and are one of only a few company's that offer quality parts. A lot of smiths try to mimic what SSS does but they are unable. SSS can do anything you would possible want from a hunting rifle to a full out benchrest gun.

www.sharpshootersupply.com