Hello, I'm not new to the forum, just read more than post. I'm also not a rookie to Savage rifles but I guess I'm new to this model. I picked up a used BVSS-S at a local gun show and am getting an education on it real quick. I wasn't sure what I had at first because it is a single shot action. I looked up the serial number on the Savage site and it pulled up a totally different "looking" rifle than mine. It show it to have sights on the barrel and was also a repeater. Mine is a blued action and most definitely a single shot. But is has a stainless fluted heavy barrel. After some help on another forum, we have decided its a BVSS-S varminter, and most likely had a barrel swap. My first thoughts was that I had a model j series rifle as I thought the only single shot actions were the newer target actions, and the j series. After talking with Savage, I found out differently. I went to purchase a Leupold, one piece scope base and found the ones for a short action were to short and the base for a long action won't work either. Its got the flat back receiver and locally was not very much available. I ended up ordering a two piece from Mid-way. Don't really know where I'm going with all this other than to prime you folks with a tin of questions at a later date. I'm sure I'll have plenty. I may replace the trigger as it doesn't have an accu-trigger and it has been modified already. Its a decent trigger and it seems safe but needs some help. It also doesn't look like a factory Savage trigger but I'm not sure what the trigger in this rifle looks like. Thanks in advance!