Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
That is the usual suspects.

Next is the nut it's self. They can be Sweet-baby-jesus tight. I have had to get a dremel and cut them off.
Otherwise, the only real *trick* is properly holding things when you tighten the lock nut(barrel nut). Lots of hillbilly engineers don't properly hold the action/barrel properly, and when they tighten the nut; inadvertantly change headspace.
Don't have a barrel vise. My barrel nut wrench has half inch squares near each end and I have an ancient Snap On 18" breakover bar in half inch drive. Using these with an action wrench, I haven't found a barrel nut that I couldn't get moving.

Since the factory blues everything assembled, I've had a couple nuts that didn't want to come off the barrel. The threads were caked with bluing salts. Just take the recoil lug out of the way and thread it back in the action. The nut will move when the barrel touches the bolt lugs.

And yeah, guess I'm a hillbilly. Sometimes the barrel turns when you don't want it to. Double check your headspacing after the final tightening. Ideally, you won't feel the go gage when you close the bolt.