clearly, i believe that the axis presents a great value in a bolt action rifle. better yet with just a few tweaks made to it.

the choice of cartridge should be dependent on the prime use of the rifle. i'll use myself as an example ...

with respect to long guns, i prefer using black powder as my rifle propellent, so my main long guns are bpcr rolling blocks and traditional muzzleloaders. black powder cartridges and muzzleloaders typically take more thought to both their loading, fouling control and subsequent mandatory after session cleaning rituals

wanting to add in a "lazy man's white powder rifle" to the arsenal, for times when i just need an accurate bang stick for both range and varmints, with no time sensitive muss or fuss cleaning, the clear choice for me is the .223rem. for the reloading i prefer to do, range brass is easy to acquire (free cases), takes a small powder charge (cheap), and relatively cheap bullets. the .223rem is easy to shoot, light recoil and can be loaded quite accurate out to and perhaps past 300 yards. while i hunt larger critters with a longbow, others may consider a 30 caliber axis for gun hunting deer and larger game, or maybe a .22-250 or .243win for longer range varmints. lotsa axis cartridge choices. all depends on yer needs 'n' wants. enjoy.