Thread: Vintage model 66c Buckhorn rifle

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning. Started with brake cleaner and then moved to Hoppes. I cleaned all the rust off of the barrel and receiver with a wire wheel. I debated on using the polishing wheel to see if I could get rid of most of the pitting. I gave it a shot and realized it was going to be a lot more work than I thought.
    I really don't think it has ever been taken care of. I have two hours into cleaning the receiver with a wire toothbrush. I ended up chucking a cleaning rod with a stainless bore brush into a cordless drill to break down the rust in the bore. Then another hour running patches through it. The bore is shiny but there is some pitting. I am not sure how the chamber is going to go. I think it had a lot of shorts ran through it because the powder debris buildup in the chamber was excessive.
    It has only one heat bluing as it sits right now. I ran out of time yesterday. I will disassemble and hit it again this weekend.
    The positive side is that now will cycle ammo through. It wouldn't before. I still don't know if it fires tho.
    I wasn't able to find any info on how to pull the bolt apart. And it seems to have been chromed, I think.
    I am going to attack the stock this weekend too. Strip the heavy layer of varnish(runs and all) off and give it a good sanding. Then give it a nice light coat of Walnut stain.

Here are some pics:
    http://imgur.com/a/QuoTM
    Last edited by phinfan; 12-11-2015 at 04:25 PM.
    "Only two things are infinite, human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not certain about the Universe." - Albert Einstein.