I think you are right. Again, I keep going back to archery 'cuz that's what I know best and competed well for some years. The best target archers relax their muscles and use their bone structure to hold their bows and their "draw/hold" as much as possible. The idea is a bow or rifle will shoot almost perfectly if the shooter does not influence it upon the release of the arrow or bullet. Of course, this is much more critical in archery because the arrow is so much slower and therefore there is a lot more time for the shooter to "influence" the bow before the arrow has left the bow. I gotta believe it's true with rifle, too. When you hold the rifle tightly in your grasp, you are imparting stress along multiple lines and angles. The stress is inconsistent so your shots are inconsistent. Just like the need for a stress free bedding job, your hold must also be stress free. When loading up your bipod, you are imposing inconsistent stress. I suppose if you use good, consistent form and are very strong and well coordinated, and well practiced, you have a better chance of getting away with it. But to do so effectively for 10, 20, 30, or 100 shots, I don't think you can. The trick is to find out what you can do well and do so consistently.