Shooting to those distances isnt really an issue with an accurate chart based on the load your using.
The wind however is a different subject. Id like to be a wittness sometime to someone using a wind meter
to solve just the wind issues on the very long shots on windy days. But i dont know anyone who owns one.
2 weeks ago a few friends and i were shooting at a reclaimed strip mine over near Ridgway. The property owner who was among us,
is planning on erecting steel targets you can shoot at from the same spot out to 2500 yds.
So far he has gotten them built from 8 to 1600 yds. He also wants to build a new 338 that will allow him to shoot that far better than what he now has.
We had 3 different 338s and started at 1300 yds and went from there right to 1600. All 3 guns were right on for elevation on the first
shot at both distances by just using paper charts based on the velocity etc. That particular day there was very little wind requiring just a small
holdover after seeing the first shot. Of coarse it could also be a whole nuther story if the wind decides to change somewhere along the way on the path the bullet is traveling.
In reality, with no hype or bs involved, i dont see how its possible to improve on the above by using a wind meter. But as stated, id like to watch someone do it.