Took my son and a new model 12 FV in 223 to the range Sunday, along with several boxes of American Eagle AE223GTV tipped varmint (mentioned above). These are 50 gr. Hornaday V-Max and shoot very well out of my 12 BVSS in 223. Bore sighted the scope and proceeded to break in the barrel…shoot one then clean, shoot one and clean, etc. After 10 rounds shoot 3 clean. Watched him put 3 overlapping holes in the B-eye followed by 3 in a two inch group. I figured it was just him putting too much pressure on himself to replicate that feat. But then he's shooting off the shelf ammo.
The stock is an el cheap-0 "rubbermaid" stock so I am planning on replacing it, maybe with a micro-fit stock. http://www.rifle-stocks.com/target_style's.htm
Upon inspection of the brass at home, I noticed deep gouges in the walls of the brass particularly near the head. I contacted Savage and sent it back to have the burrs removed from the chamber. Otherwise, this is a model 12 with a 26 inch varmint barrel and should shoot sub MOA quite easily.