Steve, I hope this part isn't confusing. The plain black stock is a laminate. The wood seems MUCH softer that the colored laminates, you can't see it because Boyd's paints it with black paint. I don't know if it's the colored resins or what exactly, but the 'custom colors' are a better buy (IMHO). But to reiterate, the plain black ProVarmint is still a laminate ply stock. I think whoever mentioned painting the stock black was inferring that IF you absolutely HAD to have black, that it might be best to paint over a colored laminate as they seem denser.

I believe if I've read this thread correctly. I hope this clarifies it a bit for you.

Quote Originally Posted by stevevs127 View Post
Thank you for the advice regarding the "carry through the brush" since that may affect what I do now. With that in mind what would you recommend for a "carry all day" type of stock?
If I was making a primarily hunting rifle that is easy to carry and still performs admirably, I'd keep the plain HogHunter stock and spend the money you were going use for the Boyd's and invest in a nicer scope, OR buy that much more ammo and just have fun getting to know your new rifle. Just my 2¢.