Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
This is one of my favorite subjects. You didn't state what your goals are (strictly punching paper I assume). Replying generally and from a hunting (or rather killing) standpoint, I prefer speed, and lots of it. Some dismiss hydrostatic shock as hokum but I am a firm believer in it as I have witnessed it time and time again. I believed the crowd that shunned the practice usually used the "bullet blowing up" and lack of penetration as a talking point. AND they would be right if I was talking about a 40 grain varmint bullet out of a 220 Swift. I am referring to a controlled expansion bullet driven as fast as possible. Back when Barnes made them, I loaded 110gr for my 300 WinMag, and 100gr for my brother's 7mmMag. No tracking involved. I also have shot foru Whitetails with my 458 WinMag with 510gr bullets. No noticed reaction, or tissue damage when found. It got the job done of course, but I want quick painless kills.

I hope I didn't completely sidetrack your question, but speed, always.
Lightning speed with a controlled expansion bullet do kill quick at relative short distances!!! bang flop. Ive also seen similar kills with low velocity heavy for caliber frangible bullets (amax, vld, ect.) Hydrostatic shock is real, ive seen multiple animals instantly die from double lung shots without even a bone hit, looks like their brain just turned off from the massive tissue damage.